Sunday, October 24, 2010

"The Little Red Hen"

You remember the story "The Little Red Hen" where the Hen keeps asking for help getting her wheat ready to make bread and no one will help her. Then in the end she has this great tasting bread to eat and everyone wants to eat it with her... but alas, they didn't help...

I really wonder about that story, because honestly sometimes I wish I could just make my bread all by myself! It's not that I don't like help, its just that, sometimes I get too much help.

Like, for example, this last week. We were getting low on bread and I had a few spare minutes, so I got a batch going. Then Benjamin asked me so nicely to read him a book while the mixer was going, so we sat down on the couch and started reading. When the book was finished and I headed back into the kitchen to start the next batch, this is what I was met with...

Yes, that is my nice and freshly ground wheat. Luckily for me, I did not have to harvest it and take it to a mill like the Little Red Hen, but I did have to pull out my wheat grinder.... (well maybe that isn't so hard to do) But before I could even get mad, Benjamin jumped in on the fun and well, it wasn't such a bad experience after all. A bit messy, but with 4 boys around, when is it not messy!

They had a blast playing in the wheat flour that Isaac had found and dumped out. It was better than the sandbox even! I think that every cooking utensil I own ended up being used to play in the flour.

And in the end, do you know what I decided... I am glad I am not the Little Red Hen, because cooking with helpers is so much more fun!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

what a fun mess :-)

Leslie said...

your a good mother hen!! ps I still owe you babysitting!! plan a date!! :)

Brooke Romney said...

You are such a good mom! You always do the right thing at the right time.