Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Benjamin Saga Continues

Hopefully this will be the last post about Benjamin (of this sort at least) for a while....

On Tuesday, at lunch time, Benjamin broke his foot...

I know, how does a 4 year old break his foot during lunch...

Well here is the story.

Benjamin was getting off the bench next to our table as he finished lunch. As he hopped down, the bench tipped and came down too... right onto his right foot. Immediately (after making him walk to the couch ... oops) I put ice on it and gave him Children's Advil. He cried for a long time, and I was pretty worried it was broken, but not 100% sure, so we decided to wait and see how it felt later. Later came and he still wouldn't/couldn't/didn't want to put any weight on his foot, so we decided that we would probably have to take him to the doctors on Wednesday. Our thoughts were confirmed when our neighbor (the same one who told us to quickly go to the ER when Ben cut his finger) told us it looked bad and may need surgery. (Surgery for a broken foot, surely he must be over reacting.... ha!)

Wednesday morning we were in the pediatricians first thing in the morning. They told us to get over to the ER and get some x-rays, and whatever else we would need. So I dropped Isaac off with my friend (THANKS KATIE) and spent the next 5 hours with Ben in the ER.

The x-rays showed a complicated break... worthy of ... surgery. (Seriously, another surgery...) but the doctors decided to try and set it first and see if that worked. So this week we get to go back to the doctors, praying that it is healing well, so that Ben doesn't need a pin put in his foot. We are hopeful that things will heal this way though.

They numbed his foot before setting and casting it (Ben HATED that part) but it made it so easy to set which otherwise would have been AGONY for him. Then they realized the only color cast they had in the ER was purple. Ben was NOT happy about that... PURPLE is for girls! But I promised we would decorate it SUPER cool and that made him feel better.

He isn't allowed any weight of his foot, so we got a walker for him too. It is the cutest thing ever I think. So here are some pictures... This first one is Ben using his walker... he is really good at it!
These next ones are his cast decor... we decided to draw ANGRY BIRDS on his cast. I am no artist, but Ben seemed to think it was pretty cool. (Plus while we were out in public another kids said... "Cool, that cast has Angry Birds on it"... that made me feel like you could actually tell what they were!)


Ben is doing well now, but still doesn't sleep well at night. I think he is distracted enough during the day that he forgets his foot hurts. I figure he is just getting me ready for a new born!


So if any of you feel as sorry for Ben as I do this month

(let me recap the month for you... 1. Almost cut off his finger and had it in a splint for 2 weeks 2. Had tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed and 3. Broke his foot)


So like I was saying, if any of you feel as sorry for Ben as I do this month... he loves Lego's, mail, and money (haha just kidding), but he could use your prayers this week!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Well....at least he's getting all his injuries in before you move... right? Here is hoping for a quick recovery and no surgery for a long, long time.

Kristine said...

Oh my goodness. We'll pray for a speedy recovery for Ben's foot and that he doesn't hurt anything else!

jennybhill said...

What a noble brother, he seems to take on everyone else's share of injuries. We saw in Grandma and Grandpa Hill's letter that he was going to have surgery (today?). Hope it went well!