Sunday, January 19, 2014

8 is GREAT!

Tonight I got to go on a date with Benjamin. 

First some background... Every year in January our church puts on a night called 8 is Great.  All the kids who will turn 8 sometime that year gather together with their parents to learn more about getting baptized.  The boys also get to learn about starting cub scouts and the girls get to learn about activity days.  They are encouraged to ask question and participate.  It is a fantastic activity. 

I have been really lucky to be able to attend this activity every year since we moved here, either as a parent or because I work with the kids at church.  This year, I got to go with Benjamin. 

I had to ask myself, when did Benjamin get so old?  I remember all too well the weeks following his birth.  I remember being told that something was wrong with his heart but they didn't know what and that he would be life-flighted to another hospital.  I remember Jeff giving him a blessing moments before he was loaded onto the helicopter.  I remember sitting silently in the car, driving the two hours to Hershey -- praying and finally accepting God's plan no matter what.  I remember having complete peace because I knew God was in control.  I remember all of that like it was yesterday, but it wasn't.  Has it really been 7 years?  Time flies!

And so, I found myself as Benjamin's date tonight.  And what a date it was!  He held my hand, put his arm around my shoulder, played with my hair.  It was FANTASTIC.  We got to talk about school and his teacher.  We talked about his friends.  We spent the whole drive just talking, and no one interrupted us!  What a great night.

I realized earlier this week as I was praying to know how to be a better mother for Benjamin, that he needs more one-on-one time.  He is truly stuck in the middle of this family, and he just needs his own time.  So I am spending more time reading alone with him and talking to him.  And tonight was the perfect addition to that. 

I am so thankful for the chances I have to get to know my sweet children better. 

As for other news this week:
-- Jeff and I are experimenting to see how little sleep a person actually needs to function.  We will let you know over the next few weeks what our findings are.  Because neither of us actually has the will  power to complete a study of this kind, our children and helping us to stay awake.  They have set up shifts and are very efficient!  If you don't hear from us for a while, please don't wake us up!

-- Jonny was practicing his ninja skills tonight.  He tried to karate chop the wall next to his bed.  He missed, but got the window instead.  Luckily, only the window was hurt.  Well the window and now Jonny's piggy bank. 

-- Katie is now officially a princess every time she puts on a dress.  She doesn't actually know very much about princesses... except Princess Leah from Star Wars.  Can you tell she has brothers!

No comments: