Monday, February 10, 2014

What 6 Looks Like


I have been wanting to write this post for a long time.  I want to remember what my life is like right now, so I can look back on it and appreciate it.  I also wanted others to be able to get a sneak peek of a day of my life with six kids.  I didn’t realize it would be quite so long, so feel free to skip this one!  But if you are brave enough to read it all the way through, I hope you enjoy!

 12:00 AM – I am asleep.  If I was smart and went to bed on time, I have been asleep for 3 hours (but when does that happen).  Sleep what an amazing thing.  When we are little and we could do it all day long, we don’t want to.  When we finally want to, we can’t anymore.  My father-in-law once asked me what I would do if I had a day completely kid free.  All I could think of was SLEEP!

12:30 AM -- #6 who is 5 months old is up and crying.  I get out of bed and stumble down the long hallway.  I step on a Lego outside of #1 and #2’s room and have to cover my mouth so I don’t wake them up.  Why are Legos so small and painful?  I carefully walk around the bike that is in the middle of the hall, why is there a bike in my hallway?  I make it to #6’s room and pick him up.  I know I need to sleep train him sometime soon, but it is easier to just nurse him back to sleep.  I pick him up and feed him.  I like listening to how greedily he gulps down his food.  When he is finished I put him back I in his bed and cover him up with a blanket; and anxious to be asleep, I rush back to my bed.  Oops, there is still a bike in the hall and I bump into it.  It makes a really loud noise; I pause to see who has woken up.  Luckily, there is still silence.  Off to bed I go. 

12:45 – I am back in bed.  Jeff is completely asleep next to me.  I can tell, because he is breathing so heavily.  I didn’t wake him up, that means my baby feeding mission was a success!  Quickly, I am asleep too.

2:00 -- #4 is up with a bad dream.  I take him back to his bed, tuck him in, and give him a kiss.  I make it back to my bed before falling asleep.

3:30 -- #6 is up again.  I really need to sleep train.  What is the deal with only sleeping 3 hours in a row???  I get up and avoid both the Lego and the bike.  Feed baby, listen to him gulp, fall asleep in rocking chair.  Oh I hate when I fall asleep nursing. 

4:30 – Jeff’s alarm goes off.  It wakes me up even though I am down the hall sleeping in a rocking chair.  My neck is sore from sitting in a funny position.  I put #6 back in his bed and stumble sleepily to my bed.  Ouch!  Stupid Lego!  I lie in bed and listen to Jeff get ready for seminary.  How in the world does he get up at 4:30 every day?  I listen to the shower going and drift off to sleep. 

5:30 --#6 again!  What.  I go in to find #6 is up the day.  I put a pacifier in his mouth to convince him to go back to sleep.  He just smiles at me and makes some cute noises.  Alright, I guess it is time to get up.  I make a mental note to take a nap later in the day.  #6 watches as I start a fire in our wood burning stove.  He loves to watch the flames as it gets going.  I love to feel the heat of the fire, especially since it is cold in our front room without it!

6:00 AM – I start making breakfast.  This morning I think I will make pancakes.  I hold #6 in my left arm as I mix the ingredients.  He keeps reaching for the bowl, and I realize that it won’t be long before he is all over the place.  I am glad that I can hold him and cuddle him still, even if the sun is just starting to rise.  #4 wanders into the room and starts telling my all about something, but he is talking to fast and I can’t understand what he is saying.  So I ask him a few clarification questions and agree that it is “awesome”.

6:30 AM – I wake up #1, #2, and #3 for breakfast.  They start fighting over who gets the biggest pancake, so I tell them that I dropped the biggest on the floor and it is dirty, but if they really want it they can have it.  Now they are fighting over the second biggest pancake!  #5 wanders in just as we are about to bless the food.  She asks for Hot Cocoa.  Then everyone else asks for hot cocoa. I personally like hot cocoa almost as much as I like sleep, so hot cocoa for breakfast it is!  After we bless the food, I start reading scriptures with the kids while they eat.  Sometimes I mix up the words on purpose to see if they are listening.  They love it and they are getting very good at finding my mistakes.  Today we talk about King Benjamin and loving others.  I ask them what they can do to love other people better.  I love their answers, everything from “be nice” to “help Katie build a Lego Star Wars ship”.  They are good kids.

7:15 AM -- I send the older three to get dressed while I clear the table.  I ask #4 to get dressed also, because he has speech class and needs to catch the bus in an hour and a half.  He disappears, so I forget about it.  I dress #5 and #6.  Well I put #6 in a clean pair of PJs, that’s getting dressed right?

7:30 AM – We start working on school.    My kids go to a unique school where they homeschool for 2-3 hours in the morning and then go to class for 4 hours in the afternoon.  I love it.  Most of the time!  #1 gets started quickly, #2 tells me he doesn’t have any homework, and #3 is in his room playing Legos.  I threaten #3 and eventually he appears with his backpack.  Now to be quick on my feet, what homeschooling should I do with #2.  (If there really isn’t any homework assigned at school then, I get to supplement however I see fit… my kids HATE that!)  Trying to be “fun” I tell #2 to find some good Star Wars quotes and practice his handwriting.  He is happy to oblige.  #3 and I start working on reading the book that was assigned to him and figure out what the characters were thinking.  I also nurse #6.

#5 walks in without pants on.
Me: “Where are your pants?”
#5:  “I not know.”
Me:  “Why did you take them off?”
#5:  “They got wet.”
Me: “With what?”
#5:  “Me got drink in bathroom” 

I go into the bathroom and the sink is overflowing.  No worries.  I just turn off the water, throw a towel on the water, and figure I will clean it up a little later.   I go back to reading Magic Treehouse with #3.  #1 has since turned on a short movie he is supposed to watch for science.  Everyone else wants to watch it too.  I figure if it is good for #1 it is good for #2 and 3 too.  I put #6 in his jumper and go to find out if #2 is dressed.  Of course he isn’t.  So I tell him again to get dressed before the bus comes. 

8:15 AM -- The phone rings.  I answer it.  It is my sister who I was supposed to call back yesterday, but forgot.  It’s ok the boys are watching a science movie; I can talk for just a moment.  I take the phone into the laundry room and throw in a load of laundry while we are talking.  While I am in there, I might as well fold a load as well.  Look at me being so productive!  (Side note:  I redefined being caught up with laundry.  My new definition is being able to get from the door of the laundry room to the washing machine without stepping on any dirty clothes.  Today, I am not caught up!)

8:35 -- I am almost finished with the load and I hear #6 whining.  I leave the laundry room to pick him back up, and as I pass the computers I notice that #1, 2, and 3 are no longer doing homework, instead they are googling how to build cool things with Legos.  I threaten to throw all the Legos away (even though I know and they know it is an empty threat).  I tell #2 to write me a paragraph that is 5 sentences long about his guinea pigs.  I also tell #3 to start on him math.  I pick up #6 and realize he majorly needs his diaper changed, and his clothes now too.  I start to work on that when #5 run by (still without pants) being chased by #4 (who is still in PJs).  I look at the clock and realize that it is 8:38 and the bus will be here in less than 10 minutes.  I leave #6 on the couch with his stinky diaper, and grab #4 to get him dressed.  Luckily, we have lots of practice and he gets his PJs off fast while I run and grab clothes for him.  Then he puts his clothes on, fast, while I look for his shoes.  Hmm.  Not in his locker where they belong, not in his room either.  Oh wait, what am I thinking, they are right in the middle of the hallway by the front door.  Of course. 

 8:45 AM – I am just finishing tying the last shoe when the bus pulls up.  I walk out with him… still in my PJs and say goodbye.  How is it that I have been up for almost 4 hours and still haven’t had a chance to get dressed?  Oh well, back to homework with the boys.  I walk inside and remember I still need to change #6.  I sit on the couch near where the “homework” is happening and use an amazing number of wipes to clean #6.  While I am wiping his bum, I am answering questions like: “Mom, does a decagon have 10 sides”, “How do you multiply when the numbers are like this”, “How do you spell dragon”, “Can I have a candy bar”.  Sometimes I think they wait until I am really distracted to ask me questions like that.  

9:15 AM -- I nurse #6, wrap him up like a burrito in his blanket and put him in bed.  I remember that I haven’t seen #5 for a while, so I go looking for her.  I find her on the couch with the iPad.  How long has she been playing that?  I tell her it is time to put it away.  She tells me no.  I tell her, yes it is and if she wants I can just take it away.  She gives up and gives it to me.  Then we go together looking for some pants for her.  While we are in her room getting dressed #3 comes running down the hall screaming.  Right behind him is #2 with his light saber.    I send them both back to do their homework. 

9:40 AM – My phone alarm reminds me that #4 will be home any minute.  I warn the older boys that in 20 minutes they have to start packing up for school.  #1 tells me he isn’t done with his homework and he will get in trouble.  I tell him he had plenty of time and should have focused better.  Then I tell him to hurry.  I go out to get #4 off the bus and realize I am still in my PJs.  I have given up on homework with #2 and #3 so I tell them to go pack their lunch.   Then I seize the opportunity to jump in the shower.  It has to be a fast shower I tell myself, but I really like hot showers, almost as much as sleep and hot cocoa.  Still I force myself to wash quickly and get out.  As soon as I turn the water off I hear #6 crying loudly.  I put a robe on and walk down the hall to check on him.  #5 is sitting in his bed with him playing “peek-a-boo”.  I am pretty sure she woke him up.  I save him from her, and head back to my room to get dressed.  #3 and #2 run past me with Jedi robes on and light sabers, obviously hot in battle.  I remind them to get ready for school.  “I’m ready” they both say. 

10:10 AM – “5 minutes till it’s time to go” I yell.  #1 tells me he hasn’t packed his lunch yet.  All of a sudden #3 can’t find his shoes (wait wasn’t he already ready?)  #5 needs shoes too, and I want to nurse #6 before we go, so I have a chance to stop at the store on the way home.  The store?!?  Oh shoot, I forgot to make a shopping list.  Hmm, well I guess we can wing it this time. 

10:20 AM – We are still not in the car.  I finish nursing #6 and put him in his carseat and put that in the car.  Then I send #5 to the car too.  #2 is ready and in the car waiting for everyone else.  #3 is still looking for his other shoe.  # 5 is holding her shoes trying to put them on herself, unsuccessfully.  #1 is packing a lunch. 

10:25 AM – We made it to the car.  Almost.  #3 forgot his homework.  #4 needs to go to the bathroom.

10:30 AM – We did it!  Now off to pick up carpool. Thank goodness I built 15 extra minutes into our schedule!

10:35 AM – Carpool picked up.  I break up a few fights over who sits where and we are off.  It is noisy, but strangely relaxing.  I have a chance to think!  I make a mental list of what I need at the store today.  #6 loves the car; I have no idea if he is awake or asleep. 

10:50 AM – We arrive at the school.  Right on time.  All the kids push their way out of the car.  I love our school!  I wave goodbye to my kids, and #3 waves back.  Then he signs “I Love You”.  My heart melts a bit!  They disappear into the school and we are off again. 

11:05 AM – We make it to the grocery store.  We are all hungry, so I am going to have to make this quick.  I promise donuts to #4 and #5.  #6 is still too little to sit in the cart, so I make #5 but she doesn’t want to.  I spend more time making her sit that I do actually pushing the cart, so I let her out.  She walks really really really slowly.  Meanwhile #4 has already added 4 snacks to my shopping cart while I wasn’t looking.  Luckily I find them and put them back.  We slowly walk our way through the store, #6 in my arms while I pull the shopping cart.  We get the essentials, milk, bananas, diapers and a few things for dinners.  Cereal is on sale, so we stock up.  Then we head to the check out.  Oops, I almost forgot our donuts; we head back to pick out our donuts.  There are only 6 kinds but it is a hard decision.  Finally, we decide to just get a dozen so the older boys can have some too.  The shopping cart is full and #6 is getting tired of being held.  It is time to go.  We check out, with only a minor meltdown over the candy on display.  The cashier asks if I need help out… I tell her we will be fine (of course I need help, but I always need help!) and we head to the car.  Thank goodness for a big van, a regular size trunk wouldn’t hold my shopping trips. 

12:25 PM – We get into car. And donuts are handed out to #4 and #5 once they are buckled.  I unload the groceries from the cart into the car.  Then we are off.

12:35 PM – We are home again!  I get everyone out of the car and feed #6.  Then I start making lunch for #2 and #3.  Today it is nachos.  I cut up an apple so there is something healthy on the table.  I put #6 in his jumper and head to the car to unload the groceries.  The wind is blowing, but otherwise it is a nice day.  I love the weather where we live.  I mentally remind myself to send the kids outside to play after lunch.    It takes 8 loads to get the groceries from the car to the house.  #6 is getting tired, so I pick him up and give him a pacifier.  I hold him for a while, while #4 and #5 eat.  Then I put him in bed.  I switch the laundry and try to fold another load.  This time I make it! 

1:00 PM – I send #4 and #5 outside to the sandbox and treehouse.  I love watching them play together.  They are such good friends.  I start unloading the groceries.  I open the refrigerator and realize it really needs to be cleaned out.  It is already mostly empty, so now’s as good a time as ever.  I take the old food out and toss it, wipe the shelves off quickly and put the new food away.  I love a full and clean fridge!!! 

1:45 PM -- #6 is awake already, so the rest of the groceries will have to wait.  I pick him up and realize that #5 needs a nap.  I convince her to come inside and lie down with the promise of “hot cocoa milk” when she wakes up.  She is exhausted and falls asleep fast.  Now #4 is bored, so I have him read me one of his books.  He is just learning to read, and I love listening to him figure it out.  He is a really smart kid.  Once we’ve read for a little I let him play on the computer.  Now if I could just figure out what to do with #6 I could get that nap. 

2:15 PM – I decide that since #6 is definitely awake, I might as well get started on the breakfast and lunch dishes.  I put him down with his toys near #4 and head to the kitchen.  I remember that #4 is in charge of unloading the dishwasher, so I go back to where he is and ask him to come help me.  I am ready for a fight, but this time, he just wants to be with me so he comes right away.  We talk while we unload the dishwasher.  He tells me about speech class.  He likes it, and I am glad.  When the dishwasher is unloaded he talks for a while longer and I wash the dishes.  He tells me about Star Wars and I wonder, how did my kids get so addicted to this?  But he is really cute about it, so I guess its ok!  After a while he wanders into the other room to make funny faces at #6.  I finish the dishes alone. 

2:45 PM -- I pick up #6 and feed him.  Then I switch the laundry again.  #5 starts crying from her room, so I leave the unfolded laundry and run to her aid.  She has just woken up and is still tired.  I sit on her bed and talk to her for a moment as she wakes up completely.  She sees I have #6 with me and decides that she would rather have his attention than mine.  He is happy to oblige and gives her a BIG smile.  We walk to the couch and read a book. 

3:30 PM – The boys get home from school.  Thank goodness for carpools!  They have lots of energy and had a good day at school.  They grab a snack and I tell them they have 30 minutes of free time, and then I need their help.  They run off to play.  #4 and #5 run after them. I realize I have nothing planned for dinner, so I head to the pantry to see what is available.  Then I remember I never finished putting away the groceries.  So, I grab the groceries and start putting them away.  I find a package of noodles I got on clearance and figure chicken noodle soup would be good for dinner.  But all my chicken is frozen, so “noodle soup” will be ok too. 

4:00 PM – I tell the boys that it is time for them to help me.  They all complain that they didn’t get enough time to play and they have to work all the time.  I commiserate with them, and then make them help me.  They start picking up toys, dirty clothes, trash, and shoes.  I head to the kitchen to make dinner. 

4:30 PM – The house is looking much better.  I am thankful for kids who know how to work, now to teach them to not make such a big mess in the first place.  My dirty laundry pile has doubled, but I moved it so I almost have a complete path to the washing machine, so I am almost caught up!  Dinner is cooking, and #6 is getting hungry again.  Dude, that kid can eat!  I need to find a way to fill him up!

4:45 PM – Jeff gets home.  I love his job!  Because of seminary he gets into work at 6:15 and that means he is home EARLY!  I love it.  The kids all tackle him.  He spends the rest of the evening as a jungle gym.  Me and the boys set the table and I put dinner on.  I found some homemade bread in the freezer to eat with the noodle soup, so that is nice.  Mental note to make more bread for tomorrow. 

5:00 PM – We all sit down for dinner.  It is noisy and crazy and fun.  I have to tell everyone but especially #2 that they can’t have more bread until they eat veggies.  #4 starts crying because someone took the bread that he wanted.  He is already getting tired, speech class does that to him.  #1,2,and 3 tell us about school. 

5:30 PM – We do the “10 minutes” which is just the dishes with a fancy name.  #5 and #4 run off to play while Jeff holds #6.  I wash while #1 loads.  #3 clears the table, and #2 sweeps the floor.  It takes #3 lots of reminding to get his job done, but otherwise it goes smoothly. 

5:45 PM – I remind #1 and #2 that it is scouts tonight.  I need to get there early to work on primary stuff, so they need to hurry and get ready.  I am thankful that I didn’t have a parent meeting at the school tonight.  Usually it interferes with scouts so I don’t get to go the whole time, but tonight I am free.  I feed #6.

6:15 PM – After some frantic searching for cub scout handkerchiefs and books we are on our way.  #6 is being entertained by #2 in the backseat and #1 is in the front talking to me.  I love “getting away” for a few minutes, even if it is just to den meetings!

 6:30 PM – We get to scouts right on time, so much for being early!  We didn’t even have time to stop at the library on the way to pick up our books on hold, maybe tomorrow.  The boys go into their dens and I head to my primary closet to grab some stuff to work on.  I never make it there, I find some fun people to talk to instead.  That’s ok, primary can wait.  Other than a few minutes with Jeff, this is the only adult interaction I will get all day.  It is really refreshing!  #6 falls asleep and sleeps the entire hour. 

7:30 PM – Den meetings are over.  I finally make it to my primary closet and grab what I was supposed to be working on.  Then #1 and #2 and #6 and I head to the car.  Then #2 heads back inside to grab his book.  Then his neckerchief.  Now we really head home. 

7:50 PM – We are home again.  I send #1 and #2 to bed.  They are still excited from scouts and it takes  a few minutes to calm down.  But they are quickly asleep.  Jeff put #3, 4, and 5 to bed.  He is amazing.  I am so glad he is so helpful, especially when he is so busy.  #6 wakes up and I grab him as I join Jeff on the couch.  We sit and talk a little about our day while I change #6.  It is good to connect.  Then I read my scriptures. 

8:30 PM -- #1 comes out of his room sleep walking.  He mumbles something that doesn’t make much sense.  We laugh and send him back to bed. 

8:50 PM – It is time for Jeff to get to bed so he can teach seminary in the morning.  #6 is still plenty awake, so I brush my teeth and take out my contacts.  Then I play a quick game of 7 Little Words with Jeff and say goodnight.  #6 and I are on our own.  We check my e-mail and try to respond to a few of them.  I have so many e-mails to go through.

9:15 PM -- #6 is finally sleepy.  I feed him, wrap him up in his blanket, and give him his pacifier.  He is almost asleep before I get to his bed.  I head to the laundry room to fold the loads that were left unfolded.  It doesn’t take long when there are no distractions.  I just wish the laundry room were a tad bit warmer.  I hurry to I can get out of there!  I need a loaf of crusty bread for dinner tomorrow and the recipe I have needs to be made the night before, so I head to the kitchen and mix the 4 ingredients together.  I love recipes that are quick, easy, and delicious.  I am sure we will really enjoy dinner tomorrow. 

9:45 PM – I do a quick clean up in the kitchen.  As I am turning off the lights, someone starts crying.  I head down the hallway.  #5 had kicked off her blankets.  I wrap her back up and kiss her goodnight.  Then I sneak into my bed.   I say my prayers, thanking God for all the wonderful things that happened today and asking for strength to do it all again tomorrow.  It doesn’t take me long to fall asleep, which is good because in a few hours tomorrow starts! 

5 comments:

Wes and Dani said...

Great post!!

Kristine said...

You're amazing!

Whitehead Family Fun said...

Awesome. I'm tired just thinking about it! Life is full and fun though with lots of kids around.

stacey said...

Jenny you are amazing! The thing that stands out to me most (and that I can relate to, though 4 is certainly not 6!) is how much stopping and starting there is with things in your day. You and Jeff make a great team and your hard-working, wonderful kids are proof. Thanks for your good examples and keep up the good work!

Katie Stapleton said...

So good that you wrote it all down in detail! A typical day changes so fast with kids. In 5 years, you might have forgotten how your spent your days in this window of time! I want to gift you a nap SO bad reading this. :)