Sunday, March 30, 2014

Migraines

I don't get migraines.  I've only had one in my whole life.  It was awful, the worst my head has ever hurt.  It woke me up in the middle of the night and was so debilitating it took me half an hour just to get to the medicine cabinet for medicine.  It was truly terrible.  So why do I tell you this?  Because Jonny gets migraines.  He gets them all the time.  We used to be able to treat them with Advil, but lately that doesn't seem to help, so we switched to a migraine specific medicine.  So far, it doesn't look much more promising.  And after he has a migraine, he keeps getting headaches for the next day or two, like the migraine wasn't quite enough.  Oh it could be worse, his migraines come about two weeks apart, when they could come much more often, but it is still terrible.  And do you know what the most terrible part of it is, it's that I am a bad mom.  I know that Jonny is in pain and that he really has no control over it.  But I get so annoyed when we have to change our plans so that Jonny can go home and lie on the couch.  I get so frustrated when he is crying in pain because I can't do anything about it, and that frustrates me.  I hate that when he tells me he is getting a headache my response is to roll my eyes and then tell him to go get some medicine and then hope that it was just a little headache and not a migraine.  Where has my empathy gone?  Why do I have such a hard time being loving and supportive when he needs me and when I know that he feels terrible.  And why can't I just make it better?  I'm tired of migraines and I'm tired of being a bad mom, so someone just come and take over for me... please.   

7 comments:

Caesar Gonzales said...

Poor Johnny!!! I get them as well and they just stink. I hope you are able to find something that works for him. Jenny one thing is for sure you are not a bad mom. I can't even tell you how many times I've rolled my eyes when my kids get hurt. Especially when they get hurt messing around doing something I've told them a million times not to do. I need to work on that as well. miss you...

also if this says from Caesar it's actually me leslie but I think it's signed in as him. :)

Hill-Mulford Family said...

Now we have something else to pray for. God bless you and dear Johnny! We love you and admire what you are doing with all those children.
Life is hard (but we can do hard things)!
Love,
Dad

Kristine said...

Oh that's sad. It's so hard to have your kiddo in pain and not be able to do anything about it. Have you tried getting Johnny adjusted by a chiropractor? I don't know if that would help him, but my chiropractor was able to help me get rid of my migraines...

Whitehead Family Fun said...

Joshua gets them too (not diagnosed yet but we will have to go get help soon.) I'm also a bad Mom sometimes we just let Joshua go until he is throwing up because his head hurts so bad. I think it is hard to have empathy when you can do nothing to solve the problem. It is hard to change plans too. I've heard that kids can outgrow them so lets hope right!

Chelsey said...

You are so far from a bad mom! You're seriously one of those super moms that everyone looks up to. I do not handle illness well, in myself or in anyone else. I would have made the most terrible nurse ever. I think that's just a gift that some people have been blessed with. So recognize your weakness, seek out that gift, but don't beat yourself up about it. You're amazing!

Jenny Hill said...

Thanks for all the comments... we went to the doctor today (we already had the appointment set up so why not!) and talked about options. He got a change in doses for his migraine meds and a referral to a doctor who specializes in relaxation techniques. He are optimistic that we will have some better coping techniques soon. Plus, after talking with my dad, I have realized that this is very much hereditary and most of the men in my family grow out of it!

Brooke Romney said...

I am so sorry and you are the best mom ever, by the way. I hope he gets feeling better. I had a friend in AZ whose son got migraines all the time. He is now 15. Maybe you would want to chat with her? I remember one of the problems was that his brain was lacking enough fatty tissue. They put him back on whole milk and all kinds of other stuff and it seemed to help some. Let me know if you want her email.