Sunday, November 16, 2008

Eternal Destiny

Today was our primary program.

Don't ask me how it happened, but somehow my shy, quiet, and extremely crowd-a-phobic Jonny was assigned the phrase "The family is central to the Creators plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

Now, to give you a comparison on some of the other parts, Jeffrey, who is a year and a half older, not shy, and LOVES large crowds was assigned "The prophet isn't the only one who teaches me about my Heavenly Father."

Needless to say, I was feeling pretty hopeless about Jonny participating at all. In fact, last Sunday when they practiced he was dragged kicking and screaming to the pulpit for his part and he would only let Jeff (who is the primary pianist) help him.

Quite by accident this week, I found out that if I told Jonny I would fall off my chair (or couch, bed, or just roll on the floor) if he said his primary "talk" by himself then he would GLADLY do it. So that is how we practiced, and I spent most of the week on the floor!

So today was the big test, would he (1) even go sit on the stand when the time came, and (2) would he look into the crowd and remember all his practicing. Well, the time came for the primary kids to go up to the stand and Jeffrey pretty much skipped up to his spot. He was so excited. Jonny walked to the end of our pew and FROZE. He wouldn't move. We reasoned for a few minutes and finally Jonny decided he REALLY wanted to see me fall off my pew, so up he went.

He was very cute waving to me from the stand every 10 or 15 seconds. And then when his turn came he marched right up to the microphone, told one of the primary counselors he DID NOT need help and then said "The family is central to the creators plan for the eternal destiny of his children" just as we practiced. And just as I promised, I fell of the bench (or at least slid down far enough that Jonny thought I did!)

I was so proud of him. Jeffrey also did FABULOUS saying his part. He was a natural. Needless to say, I was a happy mom.

Just had to do some bragging!

4 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

Way to go! I usually end up bribing them to do their part for some toy or movie or something. Very creative!

Adrienne said...

That's a great story. You are such a good mom to those boys!

jennybhill said...

That is a good story -- sounds like everyone except Benjamin got to be part of the performance. Did he slide off the bench with you too?

Tammy said...

Great idea! You're a genious!